Monday, April 15, 2013

Happiness

There is something truely amazing that happens when you can finally let go of your past. I guess I'm still on a high from this weekend, but today has been wonderful. I've been home with a sick boy, but it's still been great.

I found myself walking through my house marveling at the beauty of everything in a whole new way. This is my house. I bought this house on my own with no help. These are my walls that need painted. These are my carpets that totally need replaced. I have heat and air, running water, shelter from the storms, and everything I need to take care of my boys. I may not have all the luxuries of life, but what I do have is mine. With the Lord's help, I have what I need and it's a beautiful thing.

The past ten years of my life have been based on 'keeping up with the Jones's'... I don't even know who the Jones's are, but they can keep their 'stuff'. I never thought I'd be happy with less 'stuff'. But I am. Now, don't get me wrong, I know Im not doing too bad. I am still able to have some of the luxuries in life that a lot of people don't. I don't have to go without things like cable, internet, my smart phone, or my newish car. And I am thankful for that. I know I could do without those things if I had to, but I'm thankful that I am able to have these conveniences especially to help me in caring for the boys. The thought of an unreliable car scares me with the precious cargo I tote around. And these days you almost have to have internet to help your kids with their homework. I'm thankful I don't have to go without these things.

The past couple of days I started working on my garden. The house I bought has a fenced off area in the backyard that has two raised beds in it. They are very over-grown with grass and weeds. My neighbor said the previous owners never did anything with it. So I am. All I have is a shovel and a hoe, and I'm going to town. I've already gotten a good start on it, and am about to go get me some tomato plants to go in it. I think this has added to my happiness the past couple of days. Working with my hands and accomplishing something is so great. My boys are into it and helping me and learning so much. I can't wait to show them the fruits of our labor. It will be so gratifying!



My whole thinking process has changed. I hope forever. I honestly have nothing to complain about... and the little things that happen here and there are measly little problems in the grand scheme of things. Yes, the world is an awful place to be in sometimes. But if you live your life right, stop trying to keep up with the Jones's, and appriciate what you have and the work it took to get it, the world becomes so much better.

I'm so thankful for where I am today, right now, this very second. Are you?

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate your posts. They are insightful and encouraging, and you write well too.
    Keep it up! :)
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a peaceful feeling to look around and be thankful instead of dissatisfied...You'd think I would do it more often! Thanks to you, I'm doing it now.

    ReplyDelete